FEDERAL – Income Tax

Disability Tax Credit – Form 2201 – www.cra.gc.ca - You must have taxable income.  Application to be completed by your doctor, it is a multi-page form in which your doctor must certify that you are “Markedly Restricted” in one activity of daily living (walking, vision, speaking, hearing, feeding, dressing, bowel or bladder function, or mental function). Or “Significantly Restricted” in 2 or more of the above.  Definitions and further info is found on Form 2201.  Dependent on your taxable income, your tax savings may be approximately $1,470.00 per year.  If your claim is rejected, you are encouraged to file an Appeal – Disability Alliance British Columbia is very helpful in this area.  See Resources Area.

Attendant Care Services – Income Tax Deductions – Tied to Disability Tax Credit - see above – Form T2201 applies – www.cra.gc.ca 

Medical Expenses – Dependent upon your taxable income, medical expenses not paid by MSPBC, Fair Pharmacare or Extended Heath Care coverage – may be claimable on your income tax filing. Dependent upon regulations, some travel expenses, relating to medical appointments may also be claimed on income tax.



Employment Insurance – Dependant on if you were working prior to your amputation.  Service Canada – www.servicecanada.gc.ca    

Registered Disability Savings Plan – If you are less than 60 yrs. of age – and eligible for Disability Tax Credit – you may be able to contribute. Plan Institute provides free RDSP information and support at  www.rdsp.com

Income Security Programs – Federal Government web site www.hrsdc.gc.ca click on “Disability Issues” & review the various programs.  One may apply to you. 1-800-277-9914.

Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits – “CPP Disability Benefits provide a monthly taxable benefit to contributors who are disabled and to their dependent children”. – If you are permanently disabled, and are UNDER the age of 65, you may be eligible for CPP Disability Benefits. – www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/isp/cpp/disaben.shtml or 1-800-277-9914
Federal Gas Tax Refund – Refunds a portion of the federal excise tax on gasoline bought for use by eligible persons or organizations. – CRA – Refund $0.015 per litre. www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/disability


Persons With Disabilities (PWD) – Provides income assistance along with enhanced medical coverage for people with disabilities and who are not able to work and have no other source of income below the maximum level allotted.  NOTE THAT THERE ARE INCOME & ASSET QUALIFICATIONS.  Information sources – www.disabilityalliancebc.org 1-866-866-0800.  Please note that there are extremely detailed and helpful instructions on how to complete the application on the Disability Alliance British Columbia www.disabilityalliancebc.org  See Resources Area. 

Property Tax Deduction – Possible reduced property tax.  BC Ministry of Finance home owner grant – property tax deferral.  In addition to the basic grant, additional grants may be available to reduce property taxes. – www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/hog - Application form ‘B’ – www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents library/forms/0078RILL.pdf

BC Property Tax Deferment – Low interest loan program to defer property taxes on your owned home – you must have at least 25% equity in your home & have lived in  BC for a least one year. – www.sbc.gov.bc.ca/rpt - click on persons with disabilities link.

Additional Home Owner Grant – If you have incurred costs to modify your home for your disability (cost over $2,000.00 or assistance at home over $150.00 monthly) AND you get PWD (see earlier for details), you may qualify for an additional Home Owner Grant. – www.sbr.glov.bc.ca/hog 

BC Medical Services Plan – Premium Assistance is available if your family income is less than $30,000.00 you will be able for premium reduction.  If your family income is less than $22,000.00 then you would pay $0. – www.health.gov.bc.ca/pharmacare/pdf/FPC03.pdf

Provincial Gas Tax Rebate - Up to $500.00 per year refund.  Based on # of litres of fuel consumed per year.  Gas receipts must be submitted.  Note that your Doctor must sign a form attesting to your amputation date.  You will then be provided with a   Registration Number and access to forms to file yearly.  Claims can be filed up to four years after purchase. (Receipts are necessary). www.rev.gov.bc.ca/ctb

ICBC Vehicle Insurance Discount - Once you have a Registration Number for the Provincial Gas Tax Rebate you can apply for the ICBC Discount – this amounts to a 25% discount on your basic vehicle insurance (PL & PD) – This is in addition to your seniors discount – if you are 65 yrs. or age or over.  www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/save-money/disability-discount

HAFI (Home Adaptations for Independence) – Administered by BC Housing.  Financial assistance for eligible low-income seniors and people with disabilities in BC, in order that they may continue to live in the comfort of their own home.  Up to a $20,000.00 grant to modify the home (i.e. enlarge the bathroom for wheelchair accessibility).  PLEASE NOTE THAT: ELIGIBILITY is defined by level of income, assets & the value of your home.  www.bchousing.org/HAFI - Toll free: 1-800-407-7757 (ext. 7055) or (604) 646-7055. – This program replaces the previous CMHC (Federal) program.  Also please note that in the case of Rental Properties – the Landlord may be eligible to receive these grants to provide modification – once again depending on the renters meeting eligibility – i.e.: income etc.

SPARC BC – (Social Planning & Research Council of BC) – Provides the Applicant (People with permanent disabilities) – a Parking Permit to park in designated spaces.  A blue & white plastic card to display, hanging from your rear view mirror or placed on the dashboard.  You will require a doctors’ certificate.  Application forms & information  available from www.sparc.bc.ca or (604) 718-7744

HandyDART – In the Lower Mainland of BC this service is administered by Translink.  The service is also offered in a variety of areas throughout BC.  HandyDART operates specially equipped vehicles designed to carry passengers with physical or cognitive disabilities who need assistance to use public transit.  Door to door delivery service.  It is necessary to apply to register with HandyDART Services, a form signed by your doctor is necessary.  The application form can be obtained from the website www.translink.ca (query application form).  Often doctors’ offices, rehab hospitals or social workers will have the form on file.  Once registered you are eligible for the services.  Generally you must reserve ahead.  You are strongly encouraged to visit their website & call the appropriate offices to be fully aware of your responsibilities in this program.

TaxiSaver Program – A supplementary service to HandyDART and available to people with permanent disabilities who have a HandyCard.  Available in various areas in BC, reduced rates on a cab, if HandyDART service cannot be arranged.  Visit www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Gude/Accessible for further info.   

BC Ferries Disabled Status - If you are a resident of BC with a permanent disability, reduced fares (passenger only) are in effect for you. If you are operating, or in a vehicle, you will be assured priority boarding & parking at a spot next to the elevators.  If you require the aid of an escort, that person will receive the discounted rate.  To apply for a BC Ferries Disabled Status Identification Card go to www.bcferries.com and from the FAQ area, download the Information for Passengers with Special Needs brochure, or call 1-888-233-3779 for details.

BC Housing – Provincial Crown Agency that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options across the province, including wheelchair accessible housing.  Offices throughout the province.  Eligibility criteria is described on Website – www.bchousing.org.  Program & Information Line – 1-866-465-6873.